Samoa Apia Mission - March 2015 - 2017

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Overcoming Disappointment, Interesting Haircuts & Dodging Kisses

Talofa lava family and friends! O a mai outou?

This week we have had some really good experiences and also some disappointments. 

We were able to teach a lot of  people and get some new investigators and also help our current investigators continue coming unto Christ. It was kind of cool because some of our most productive days this week were on P-day and Sunday, days when we wouldn't usually go out and teach as much as other days. In study time my comp and I read in Preach My Gospel that "nothing happens in missionary work until you find someone to teach", we took this to heart and contacted as many people as possible. We were able to find a lot of people who I am sure will be blessed by the gospel. 

Some of my favorite people to teach are those who seem like they will never have anything to to with the gospel, in fact we have got 2 new investigators while they have been drunk haha. I know that these people are just as important to the Lord as I am or anyone else is. My comp said that when he meets someone new he likes to picture them dressed all in white, he said that this helps him see their potential as children of God. 

While the work has been moving forward we have had to deal with some disappointments as well. This week we were expecting to have a baptism and 4, maybe 5,  investigators at church. It ended up that the baptism had to be postponed and we only had 1 investigator attend church. I'm not going to lie I was really put out that we had worked so had but had so little to show for it. It brought me to my knees asking for guidance from my Heavenly Father. As I prayed I realized that these trials are helping me rely more on the Lord. 

I also remembered some inspired words from my branch president in the MTC. He had told me that I was a perfectionist and that I would sometimes dwell on the things that didn't happen. He told me that when I felt down that I should look at all the good things that I had helped come to pass. As I remembered this I looked at my week from a new perspective and I realized that our work had been very blessed and productive. We had strengthened members of the church and we had helped some people continue their journey to Christ and helped others start the journey. We had helped people overcome challenges, addictions, and disbelief. We had given Priesthood blessings and helped people exercise faith in Jesus Christ. We had, with the help of the Lord, accomplished miracles. Even though we might not have met our goals for church attendance or the number of baptisms, we had accomplished what the Lord wanted us to, and that's what really matters.

A few other things I learned this week:
-If a Samoan is going to cut your hair he doesn't ask you how you want it cut, he just cuts it however he wants.
-Some Samoan girls try to kiss palagi elders. (Don't worry, I've been able to dodge them all)
-Crabs are not easy to catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment